Monday, March 18, 2019

Writing Prompt [What bothers you most about growing old?]


This is a question any one of us could write on for any number of minutes. Am I right? Let's awaken those writing brain cells for a moment by tackling this difficult, inevitable event in our life: growing old.

What bothers me most about growing old is the possible loss of physical and mental abilities. We've all seen those losses in nursing homes, and yet there are always exceptions to that. I've seen eighty-year-olds doing CrossFit and running marathons, while someone their same age struggles with Alzheimer's Disease or Arthritis. We always hope that we're the exception, but the reality of the human plight is that we might struggle. The best I can do at this point is to take care of my body, giving it the sustenance and activity it needs, hoping that whatever I face, I have the strength to endure.

How can I do that? I believe that there are important "pillars" to a person's life: physical activity, mental growth, spiritual and emotional well-being.... All of these play an important role in overall health and can all be easily taken from you except one: spiritual. View yourself as a soul that needs to be nourished, fed truth, living with a specific purpose, and a set of foundational beliefs. It is this that can never be taken from you because it lies within; so how are you going to foster this in your life so that when you grow old, you are able to stand firm in the face of whatever storm attempts to overtake you?

No comments:

Post a Comment