Monday, November 12, 2018

Weekly Writing Prompt [Melancholy marked him for her own.]


When an author uses personification in this way, it brings my imagination to life. I begin to visualize what this looks like, imagine the scene as my own, and attempt to relate to it in some way. How sad is this illustration? Giving life to the idea of melancholy - turning melancholy into a character - a character who does something tragic: marks someone for her own. Can you imagine being this person whom Melancholy marked? What would daily life look like?

I cannot remember which book or story I cut this phrase out from, but I hope the statement itself spurs imagination and allows for an awesome classroom discussion.

My connection: The Book Thief where the author Markus Zusak, writes Death as the narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment