Thursday, October 1, 2015

Making Inferences


For whatever reason struggling readers have a difficult time using evidence in text and their own background knowledge to make educated guesses and answer the who, what, when, where, why and how questions. This particular worksheet takes less than 30 minutes to complete and is super easy. When I introduced this concept it seemed overwhelming to my struggling readers, until I brought this out, giving them success, which in turn gave them confidence.

We started out doing the first two together, then they did one with a partner, and the last two on their own. By the end, they had it down and were ready to move to more complicated text.

Visit TeachersPayTeachers or TeachersNotebook to purchase this 3 page worksheet (including a mini teacher answer page).

I also love using media, cartoons, and pictures such as these to help students infer. (They spur wonderful discussions!) Here's a few ideas:

I would cover up the ad on the bottom right hand corner.
I wonder what they see...
Hmmm... what were they up to...?
Blot out what John says to Garfield, make them guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment