Monday, October 16, 2017

The #1 Feature Every Teacher Should Add to Their Portfolio

As I created my portfolio, readying myself for interviews right out of college, I met with a junior high  principal who had one addition suggestion: Professional Reading. She wanted me to show that I believed in the ideal of being a life-long learner, which was first in my philosophy.

How are you continuing your education during your own time?

I didn't hesitate in following her advice. Since the first 5 pages were the one's where administration would probably spend most of their time during an interview, they were the most important. This is the order in my portfolio:

  1. Table of Contents
  2. Resume
  3. References
  4. Teaching Philosophy
  5. Professional Reading
  6. Classroom Management
  7. Classroom Environment
  8. Multicultural Strategies
  9. Teaching Experience
  10. Student/Administrator Feedback
I decided to have 10 pieces (and no more) in my portfolio. I did not want to overwhelm administrators with gobs of paperwork, and I wanted to remain focused.

The added benefit of creating a portfolio is that it prepares you for an interview. It solidifies in your mind what you believe, what your classroom will look like, what experience you've had, and the positive feedback you've received.

Building a portfolio also gave me confidence. There was no doubt in my mind what I envisioned for my students and why, what I learned and how I wanted to apply it, and what I learned from each teaching opportunity or learning experience. I was eager to talk to anyone willing to listen because I was passionate about everything I put in my portfolio. That portfolio outlined who I was as a teacher.

The last point I want to stress is this: adding the professional reading piece was a vital addition because teachers should value the art of teaching and learning from others. (That's our job!) We all have something to gain from each other. Learning from others and incorporating ideas based on their own experience and research was too important to miss. I am still grateful, even 10 years later, for this idea. I have added many books to this list and so many of them (not all of them) have given superb ideas that have transformed my classroom to benefit my students and my children as their teacher-momma.


Add a page for professional reading and attempt, each year, to add a book to your list. Make it ever growing because it reveals that you believe in your profession. Teaching is learning and if you want your students to learn, you better be pretty good at showing that you believe it.

Follow my Pinterest Board: Professional Development!

No comments:

Post a Comment