Wednesday, February 7, 2018

An Idea To Cultivate a Love of Learning From One Mom to Another (For teacher's too!)

My "Professional Development" book of the month is Ron Clark's The End of Molasses Classes: getting our kids unstuck: 101 extraordinary solutions for parents and teachers. So far this book has inspired me as a mother and a teacher - to step it up a notch (or 2, or 3, or 101). 


One of the ideas that I had to share was of a mom who found creative places for her children to study before a test. She listed all kinds of places that offered free admission and adventure to enjoy as a family and study the material learned for any particular lesson or unit (Clark included letters from parent's throughout his book, this idea was from Mrs. Nesmith, mom of Cameron, class of 2012, in chapter 31, Show them how to study; don't expect it to come naturally). I love that idea! As a reading teacher who began each year discussing and writing about a student's favorite place(s) to read - I took this mom's idea and made it my own. 

Before I go there (and encourage you to do the same) let me explain. I used this prompt (Where is your favorite place(s) to read your favorite book?) for two reasons:
  1. It helped me determine my readers from my non-readers. Readers have favorite places to read. Non-readers typically have no idea this is even a thing.
  2. It helped me cultivate a love for reading. As favorite places are discussed, written down and shared it always amazed me how quickly readers and non-readers alike got lost in their own idea of a favorite place. And eventually grew into this delightful bucket list of places they'd like to visit and read a book! As the year progressed, and their love for reading grew, they were able to talk about their favorite place to read. Encourage students to find a drink... grab a snack... pick a book about your favorite thing to do (for example, where I'm from, most boys picked hunting)... go to your spot... and enjoy. I loved hearing how they'd get lost in this place.
As a mom who wants to cultivate a love for reading in my own children, I couldn't wait to take this mom's idea and run with it! The idea of taking my girls on adventures - with a book - appealed to me on so many levels. I'm making it a goal to go to new places with snacks, drinks, and a book. Explore, learn and see something new, make memories and take the time to enjoy a book too. My brain is rolling... there's an old abandoned church out in the middle of a field I would like to see (bring a blanket, snacks, and books!), hiking trails with marvelous views (bring snacks and a book!), go to the Tin Roof Sundae (enjoy ice cream and - you guessed it - books!), the possibilities are endless and the result is memorable reading excursions. 

And that in and of itself is amazing.

Did you know that the majority of my non-readers or struggling readers had no memory of their parents reading to them? They also hand no positive memories or experiences that included books or stories. Be that parent who provides memorable moments surrounded by books. The most amazing gift you can give your children is wonderful memories surrounded by books and learning. Also, be that teacher who provides memories surrounded by books! Especially if your students possess zero memorable moments with books, make sure you give them one (or a hundred). Cultivate a love for reading beginning with the things and places they love the most! 

Parents and teachers, I'd love to hear how you pulled this off. Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment