Tuesday, January 30, 2018

4 Reasons to Like Emily Dickinson's Poetry

I have written before of my love for poetry. It is one of my favorite forms of literature and creative writing. There is freedom to write down your thoughts as they come to you and joy when you find the right word to finish a thought, or rhyme, or create a witty play on words. Reading and relating to other poets, however, is even better. Poetry is inspirational. Emily is one of those poets I enjoy even more after reading about her. I can relate to Emily in so many ways. It wasn't until reading the introductions, editor's notes, and forwards to Emily's poetry books that I learned to enjoy her poetry all the more!

Never ever skip those pieces before or after reading a book. It adds depth and makes the book come alive in a completely new way! This is what I would've missed had I not taken my own advice...
  1. "She rejected conventions, cared for no set technique, no formulas of versification, no fastidious rhyming." (Ellis, M., Pound, L. and Spohn, G., A College Book of American Literature, I, The Later Nineteenth Century, p.9) 
  2. It is said that the effect of her poetry is "gayety, joy, and utter independence." (Ellis, M., Pound, L. and Spohn, G., A College Book of American Literature, I, The Later Nineteenth Century, p.10) That statement is true when you read the subjects of her poetry: nature, everyday life, and her love for her family.
  3. Very little of her writing was ever published and the only reason they ever made it to the printing press was because they were found (by accident) after her death. She did not write with an intention to be published. She wrote for the pure enjoyment of it and for her family to whom she sent little notes and poems across the yard. Her humility is remarkable.
  4. This is Emily's own test for poetry, "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know it is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know this is poetry." I love that test! If it were for no other reason than that particular statement, I would love Emily all the same.


Here is one of my favorites,
This would also make a wonderful writing prompt!

No comments:

Post a Comment