Friday, October 19, 2018

Elementary Plant Seeds Unit

At this point in my life I am designing lessons for my 1st grader rather than the secondary units on English/Language Arts that I am used to creating. Originally, I thought I would look into a curriculum to purchase, but my smart husband made this point: that would be like being a master carpenter and hiring someone to build a fence. His point: my masters degree is in curriculum and instruction, therefore it just makes sense that I create it. His common sense approach is another reason why I am incredibly thankful for this man. I am so glad I took his advice, it has been fun designing and doing these lessons with my own child.

Objective
Introduce plant basics while learning the value of the Scientific Method: observation.


Lesson Format
Each particular lesson I create follows the 4MAT method - a learning and communication tool that takes into account the different ways students perceive information, learn, process and share what they learned. Each activity is purposeful and hands on; there are very few worksheets.
(Download your FREE 4MAT lesson plan template HERE.)

Length
This unit took us 4 weeks to complete, however, it can take as long as you wish. There is quite a bit of time on observation, so the amount of time you take to complete these particular activities is entirely up to you and the time you have or need. 

Cost
$8. This is the decision process I struggle with the most. This took me hours to complete and I did try it as a one-on-one lesson successfully for 4 weeks. If you purchase it, you are not even paying for my time, but my hope is that if you like it, you give it a high rating and encourage other teachers to purchase it to make up for that. The other side of the coin is this: teachers are always purchasing items for their classroom from their own pocket. I know $$ is short and do not want to overcharge.

How to Purchase
Follow this link to Teachers Pay Teachers: 

Be sure to like my page or follow me via email or Facebook!



No comments:

Post a Comment