Thursday, March 1, 2018

Weekly Writing Prompt [The Day I Was Jack Frost.]

ELA teachers have a plethora of writing materials out there to help students get their brains rolling. I love thinking of new and innovative ways to get a student's brain ready to write. One way I do this is through simple phrases. Simple phrases help clear the cob webs. Sometimes the hardest part is just starting, so when that first piece is written for you, I find it easier to run with it, fabricating an entire story or poem just because I took the time to let my brain fashion something out of another something.

Today's prompt was one of those ideas that came to me when I saw the simple phrase: "The day I was..." You could insert any number of possibilities into this blank, "The day I was __________." Jack Frost came to me on a blustery day, but many others came to my mind like,
"The day I was Mickey Mouse."
"The day I was Mother Earth."
"The day I was a millionaire."
"The day I was married and widowed."
"The day I was an astronaut."
"The day I was the teacher."
And I'm sure you could come up with many, many more.

My example:
"The day I was Jack Frost I was in a dangerous mood. My heart was cold as ice and my very breath was brutal. I could freeze a heart with just my scowl and my stare was brutal. My inner turmoil was so intense that icy vehemence encompassed me, radiating to all who walked in the same room. I was cold down to my core and I couldn't stop shaking. A cloud hung over me. I was right on the verge of blowing at any time, to let the cold pour out of each and every pore and fiber in me. To besiege and attack, I was not satisfied with a gentle fall. I wanted to harass from all sides, making others has cold as I felt."

No comments:

Post a Comment